Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Hu RAZZ win

Only one HU tonight, but won it after 35 minutes of mind-numbing torture.

Other guy was pretty solid, but had a couple of major flaws that I was able to take advantage of EVENTUALLY.

Biggest one was that he would raise whenever he had the best card showing. That is typically a good thing in HU RAZZ, but there are exceptions like when you have a 2 up and the other player has a 3 up. You are probably better to vary your play in these spots since you will be called a lot and you will have tough decisions later in the hands if you rarely have the 3 low cards you are representing. The bigger version of this flaw, IMO, was when he had a 7 up and I had an 8 up(or 8/9, 9/T, T/J, J/Q, Q/K). He would raise in EVERY one of these spots. So any time I had two low cards underneath I likely had him beat (since he will have a pair/high card underneath many times) and have a pretty good starting hand to draw to.

So, my strategy was to wait for one of these close hands and then punish him when he continued to bet while I was drawing smoother than he was and then raise when I had drawn to a better low (ignoring that first card). At first, he was betting the first 2-3 streets and then he figured out what I was doing to some extent and slowed down if I called and caught better on 4th. He still continues the "raise every hand with a better door card" thing though.

Aggression in poker is key, but adding some common sense in the mix and not being predictable is just as important IMO (especially HU).

Profit: +$4.75

No comments: